Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Tommy John Surgery Again

Shawn Hill had Tommy John Surgery on his right elbow for the second time since 2004 last week. The famed Dr. James Andrews performed the operation. With recovery time for ligament replacement surgery to last between 10 and 14 months--it's conceivable Shawn Hill will not pitch until 2011 in The Major Leagues again--if at all.

We have to give Interim GM Mike Rizzo kudos for making the right call this spring in releasing Hill--as painful as Our Former Number 41's continuing problems bother us. We feel no one is more worthy of good health than Shawn Hill. And Sohna and I only wish him the very best. This Canadian Native is a good guy, very talented, and he deserves better--whether The Baseball Gods want to grant that favor or not.

The African Queen and I still miss him. We've always thought he was special--on the track to greatness. And until the very day he retires and gives up his baseball career up for health reasons--we will root for him to succeed.

4 comments:

Softball Girl said...

I hope he makes it back. His sinker and attitude were both first-rate.

I was wondering if you could answer an off-topic question for me, SBF, because I can't seem to find the info anywhere. I know Morgan is 29, but what kind of contract did we pick up on him? Is he under club control, arb-eligible, what's his status after the season?

Thanks in advance!

Screech's Best Friend said...

Nyjer is not arbitration eligible until AFTER 2011.

natsfan1a said...

I, too, will continue to root for good health for Hill.

NatsGuy said...

I'm glad you are saying that. The Nats Journal site has gotten so vindictive on wanting people DFA'd without thinking about their lives. These guys aren't just characters in a video game. They have feelimgs, hopes, and dreams like all of us.

I wish Shawn Hill, Joel Hanrahan, Elijah Dukes, and Lastings Milledge well, just not against the Nats