Saturday, November 22, 2008

Picture Of The Day--Hondo!!


Yes, it's My Favorite Player Of All Time!! Frank Howard playing Winter Ball in The Dominican Republic. The Year--1959. The Month--December. Hondo was to become The National League Rookie of The Year in 1960 for The Los Angeles Dodgers. After receiving two World Series Rings for The Dodgers, Big Number 25 for LA was traded to DC for the 1965 Season and wore Number 9. When Hall of Famer Ted Williams' became Manager of The Senators in 1969, Hondo gave up his number to "Teddy Ballgame" and took Number 33 as his own.

The most self-deprecating of men, Big Frank always says EVERYBODY ELSE was better than him. Well, Hondo was a pretty good player in his own right.

Back on August 4th, 2007, while making a Promotional Appearance for Marker Mark Whiskey at The Pearson Liquor and Wine on Wisconsin Avenue NW, Frank was holding court before a raptured audience of about 30 or 40 Fans. If you were there, you will easily recall how friendly and downright enjoyable Howard was in telling stories. For three hours, Big Frank told story after story after story.

Few better than this one about playing Winter Ball in The Dominican Republic.

Question from Fan: "Hondo, did you ever play Winter Ball?"

Hondo: (Standing up and looking at every single person who had come to visit him that afternoon, and let me tell you he had EVERYONE's Attention) "I never had the best eyesight. I wore glasses. So, when I played Winter Ball in The Dominican (Republic)--the lights were so bad--it was like hitting in Braille!"

Everyone busting out laughing. Typical Frank Howard, making fun of himself. Notice-Hondo's not wearing glasses in the above photo.

Photo By Hank Walker

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you already have you hotel reservations for ST?

Anonymous said...

Awesome story about Hondo! Being born in November 1967 I am a bit too young to remember seeing him play for the Senators. I really wish I did. I'm sure I would have been one of his biggest fans.

CALSGR8 said...

Hondo! My favorite Senator! I became a fan in 69 so he was my fav! I've gotten his autograph a couple of times at NATS Fests and an appearance at the NOW Defunct MCI Sports Museum. He's a super guy! Too bad he's with the Yankee organization now. I'd like to see him here or in our farm system!

By the way, any news on when those statues are coming?

Anonymous said...

Big Frank is an outstanding, kind and humble man. I have a feeling he will be in the Nats plans for 2009. ;o)

Casey